How to Ride
Please arrive at the bus stop five (5) minutes early and have your pass, ride card, ticket or exact change ready. If you are paying a reduced fare, you must present your Reduced Fare ID card to the bus operator.
To depart the bus, push the yellow strip or pull cord (located by the windows) approximately one block before your desired stop.
Smoking, food, drink, radios, and pets (except guide animals) are prohibited on buses and inside Quincy Street Station.
All bus lines are color coded for convenience in using the service. Topeka Metro has 6 lines, with each line offering 2 routes. There are numbered destination signs on the front header of each bus, above the windshield, and on the curb side, near the front door. However, please refer to the color for ease in moving about town.
Locating a Bus Stop
Buses will stop at bus benches, bus shelters, and “Bus Stop” signs along the route if there are patrons there waiting to board. For safety reasons, buses will not stop in construction or road work areas to pick up or drop off passengers. The bus can stop to allow passengers to board or exit at an intersection or major business access only if the operator deems it is safe and appropriate to do so.
Getting On the Bus
- Wave to get the attention of the bus operator so he/she knows you want to board.
- Stand back from the curb when the bus is approaching.
- Always board the bus through the front door.
- Alert the operator if you need to use the lift to board the bus or if you need the bus kneeled.
- Insert or swipe your pass, ride card, transfer or cash fare (exact change only) into the fare box at the top of the steps. If you are riding at a reduced rate, you must show your Topeka Metro reduced fare ID card to the operator.
- Take a seat after entering and remain seated at all times.
- If you utilize a wheelchair or scooter, the operator is required to secure it prior to moving the bus.
Getting Off the Bus
- Pull the bell cord above the windows or push the yellow call strip prior to your destination stop.
- Operators are required to call stops; please report operators who are not providing this service.
- Remain seated and wait until the bus comes to a complete stop before attempting to exit.
- If you utilize a wheelchair or scooter, please do not remove the securements before the bus is stopped.
- Whenever possible, exit the bus by using the rear door, allowing passengers to board through the front door.
- After you exit, stand to the side of the road or on the sidewalk until the bus has pulled away.
- For your safety, NEVER EVER cross the street in front of the bus.
Tips for Riders
- Arrive at the bus stop early. Too early is better than being late and missing the bus.
- Be patient. A bus is considered on time up to 5 minutes after the posted time.
- Have your pass, ride card or fare ready before the bus arrives.
- Always remain behind the white Standee Line.
- Bus operators are good resources and are willing to help. If you are confused or need assistance, please ask. However, please do not engage the operator in personal conversation that will take his/her concentration off safely operating the bus.
- Businesses located near bus stops will not provide restrooms, change, or phone services to transit patrons.
- Topeka Metro will make reasonable modifications to its policies, practices, or procedures when necessary to provide equal access to all services for persons with disabilities.
- Passengers who feel they have been denied a reasonable modification have the right to file a complaint. These complaints will be investigated and resolved in the same manner as all other complaints.