Topeka Metro and the Kansas Open Records Act (KORA)
To make an open records request, contact the executive assistant at 201 N. Kanas Ave., Topeka, KS 66603; (785) 730-8620; or firstname.lastname@example.org, who is available during regular business hours of 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday, except official holidays.
- A request for records must be in writing, with your name and address. We suggest you include a telephone number to facilitate a response.
- No particular form is required, but your request must include a sufficiently detailed description of the records. We will deny a request if the record does not currently exist or if it cannot be determined what record is requested.
- Generally, the rate charged is 25¢ per page. There may be an hourly charge for staff time necessary to identify, locate or assemble the records, to review records for KORA exceptions, to redact closed information, or to do any other task reasonably necessary to respond to the request.
- The hourly charges for staff time range from $30 for clerical to $65 for the General Manager.
- You may also be assessed any other costs incurred by the agency in connection with your request.
- You will be provided with an estimate of the fees, which must be paid before the records will be provided.
- We will act upon requests as soon as possible and no later than the third business day following receipt of the request.
- If a requested record contains both open and closed material, Topeka Metro will separate or redact the closed material and make available the material that is subject to disclosure.
- The purposes of the KORA can be enforced in the district court of any county in which public records are located.