We invite you to watch our video spotlighting three of our bus operators sharing their experiences working for Topeka Metro!
CURRENT JOB OPENINGS AT TOPEKA METRO
Enjoy a rewarding career providing public transit customer service to our community and employees. Topeka Metro is seeking candidates for a full-time Dispatcher to schedule daily operator assignments, book paratransit trips, and provide bus route & service information to the public via phone, e-mail, and in person.
- Ability to clearly articulate services and information at the level of understanding of each recipient.
- Ability to multi-task effectively while maintaining a professional, courteous, patient, and helpful demeanor towards the public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively over a digital radio system.
- Excellent knowledge of Topeka streets and locations.
- Ability to read and understand maps and directions.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel, with the ability to learn scheduling software and other technology as needed.
- 3-5 years of previous customer service experience, preferably in a high-volume call center and/or working with the public.
- Knowledge of basic math skills and cash handling techniques.
- Flexible with the ability to work various shifts from 5:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Mon.– Sat.
- At least 18 years of age with a high school diploma, some college preferred.
Applicants must pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check. Bilingual in English/Spanish is highly desirable. Topeka Metro offers an excellent benefit package and is a KPERS employer.
Download an application & characteristic survey and submit by mail, e-mail, or in person. Applications can also be picked up at one of our locations:
Topeka Metro Admin. Office 201 N. Kansas Ave. Topeka, KS 66603
Quincy Street Station 820 S.E. Quincy St. Topeka, KS 66612
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Drug-Free Workplace and EOE.
CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
Job Description: Current as of September 2021
Reports to: General Manager
FSLA Status: Exempt
Benefit Package: Yes
Education Required: Degreed Professional with Accounting Emphasis
Experience: Public Administration Preferred
Minimum Age: 21
Position Status: Full time (may require some evening and weekend hours as needed)
To coordinate, organize, and perform complex professional accounting and budgeting work in the computation, recording, and reporting of financial transactions for the Topeka Metropolitan Transit Authority.
- Proven experience coordinating and directing the fiscal accounting and reporting functions within a relevant business or governmental entity with emphasis on payroll, contract compliance, fund accounting and forecasting.
- Experience developing line item annual budgets.
- Applied knowledge in analyzing, interpreting and reporting financial data to ensure compliance of all state and federal regulations.
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills and ability to provide guidance to division managers, supervisors, and support personnel.
- Confident and persuasive communicator both orally and in writing. Ability to present and explain financial results and analysis to executive level management and board of directors.
- Public procurement and government grant experience preferred.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Performs and/or oversees all agency accounting functions, including A/R, A/P, Payroll, Cash Management, J/E, G/L, Asset Management, and F/S.
- Prepares and submits all required governmental grant and fiscal reports by their due date.
- Develops and monitors the annual budget with the assistance of division managers, and prepare financial forecasts as required.
- Analyzes, interprets and administers laws and regulations relating to accounting and budgetary systems as they relate to a transit authority.
- Plans and develops procedures for preparing fiscal reports, and maintain centralized control of all financial records.
- Manages daily cash flow to ensure availability and security of funds, and maximize investment earnings.
- Directs the work of financial personnel.
- Performs and/or oversees all purchasing, ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Performs duties associated with project management to ensure that projects are completed correctly, on time, and on budget.
- Serves as the Treasurer to the Governing Board.
- Develops, prepares and maintains written procedures for all functions.
- Monitors company insurance policies to ensure appropriate asset and liability coverage.
- Prepares annual audit material, and serves as contact for the single auditor.
- Manages all grants from federal, state and local granting agencies.
- Ensures compliance with DBE, Buy America, and Debarment/Suspension requirements.
- Other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
- Predominately sedentary and requires minimal or negligible physical assertion; however, may require moderate lifting up to forty (40) lbs., occasionally.
- Environmental conditions involve typical office levels of temperature, ventilation, and lighting; with occasional driving and traveling.
This position description is not meant to imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. Requirements listed are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities.
Download a characteristic survey & submit by mail, e-mail, in person or fax. Our addess is 201 N. Kansas Avenue, Topeka, Kansas 66603
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Topeka Metro offers excellent benefits and is a KPERS employer.
Drug-Free Workplace and Equal Opportunity Employer
PUBLIC BUS TRANSIT OPERATOR
Enjoy a rewarding career providing public transit service to our community! Topeka Metro is accepting applications for both full-time and part-time Bus Operators to provide safe, professional, and courteous public transit service.
- Customer-oriented with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and communicate effectively and courteously.
- Demonstrate a professional, pleasant, and helpful demeanor towards the public.
- Must be able to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to memorize routes, transfer points, fare structures, and work with all bus technology.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions and comply with safety and traffic rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Reliable and flexible with the ability to work various shifts M-F and every Saturday.
- Assistance in obtaining a KS CDL with air brake and passenger endorsements within two weeks of hire date.
- Steady work history with previous experience.
- Must maintain an excellent driving record.
- 21 years of age with a HS diploma/GED.
Applicants must satisfactorily pass a background check, pre-employment drug screen, post offer functional employment test, and DOT medical exam.
Download an application & characteristic survey at topekametro.org and submit by mail, e-mail, or in person.
201 N. Kansas Ave.
Topeka, KS 66603
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled. Drug-Free Workplace and EOE.
First two-weeks of training: $14.23/hr.
After two-weeks of training: $17.79/hr.
6 months: $18.90/hr.
12 months: $20.02/hr.
18 months: $21.12/hr.
24 months: $22.24/hr.